The below hadith from Sahih Muslim (Book 24, no.5301) is clear guidance and has a number of lessons for Muslim women AND men:
- Beware of altering yourselves to beautify yourselves – you are changing what Allah Has Created.
- Here is guidance for those who make excuses for following Islam properly by claiming “It doesn’t say such and such in the Qur’an” – Allah, in the Qur’an, Commands us to accept what the Prophet (pbuh) has allowed us and refrain from what the Prophet (pbuh) has forbidden us. With this, you MUST turn to authentic hadith to learn about the Islamic rulings. Here are a few ayats from the Qur’an in which we are Commanded by Allah to Obey Him AND the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh):
- “And obey Allah and the Messenger (Muhammad ) that you may obtain mercy.” Surat Ahl-e-Imran v132
- “These are the limits (set by) Allah (or ordainments as regards laws of inheritance), and whosoever obeys Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad ) will be admitted to Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise), to abide therein, and that will be the great success.” Surat An-Nisa v13
- “And whosoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad ), and transgresses His limits, He will cast him into the Fire, to abide therein; and he shall have a disgraceful torment.” Surat An-Nisa v14
- “On that day those who disbelieved and disobeyed the Messenger (Muhammad ) will wish that they were buried in the earth, but they will never be able to hide a single fact from Allah.” Surat An-Nisa v42
- “O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad ), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger (), if you believe in Allah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination. ” Surat An-Nisa v59
- “We sent no Messenger, but to be obeyed by Allah’s Leave. If they (hypocrites), when they had been unjust to themselves, had come to you (Muhammad ) and begged Allah’s Forgiveness, and the Messenger had begged forgiveness for them: indeed, they would have found Allah All-Forgiving (One Who accepts repentance), Most Merciful.” Surat An-Nisa v64
- “But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad ) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.” Surat An-Nisa v65
- “And whoso obeys Allah and the Messenger (Muhammad ), then they will be in the company of those on whom Allah has bestowed His Grace, of the Prophets, the Siddiqun (those followers of the Prophets who were first and foremost to believe in them, like Abu Bakr As-Siddiq ), the martyrs, and the righteous. And how excellent these companions are!” Surat An-Nisa v69
- “He who obeys the Messenger (Muhammad ), has indeed obeyed Allah, but he who turns away, then we have not sent you (O Muhammad ) as a watcher over them.” Surat An-Nisa v80
- “This is because they defied and disobeyed Allah and His Messenger. And whoever defies and disobeys Allah and His Messenger, then verily, Allah is Severe in punishment.” Surat Al-Anfal v13
- “O you who believe! Obey Allah and His Messenger, and turn not away from him (i.e. Messenger Muhammad ) while you are hearing.” Surat Al-Anfal v20
- “Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger (Muhammad ), but if you turn away, then the duty of Our Messenger is only to convey (the Message) clearly.” Surat At-Taghabun v12
- Women can be spiteful and make false claims, as has been done in this hadith. And on verification, this can be found to be a false claim. So don’t be spiteful and verify your claims.
‘Abdullah reported that Allah had cursed those women who tattooed and who have themselves tattooed, those who pluck hair from their faces and those who make spaces between their teeth for beautification changing what God Has Created. This news reached a woman of the tribe of Asad who was called Umm Ya’qub and she used to recite the Holy Qur’an. She came to him and said:
“What is this news that has reached me from you that you curse those women who tattooed and those women who have themselves tattooed, the women who pluck hair from their faces and who make spaces between their teeth for beautification changing what God has created?”
Thereupon ‘Abdullah said: “Should I not curse one upon whom Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) has invoked curse and that is in the Book also.”
Thereupon that woman said: “I read the Qur’an from cover to cover, but I did not find that in it.”
Whereupon he said: “If you had read (thoroughly) you would have definitely found this in that (as) Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, has said: ‘What Allah’s Messenger brings for you accept that. and what he has forbidden you. refrain from that.'”
That woman said: “I find this thing in your wife even now.”
Thereupon he said: “Go and see her”.
She reported: I went to the wife of ‘Abdullah but found nothing of this sort in her. She came back to him and said: “I have not seen anything.”
Whereupon he said: “Had there been anything like it in her, I would have never slept with her in the bed.”
It was related by Muslim.
Stand Up 4 Islam!
[If you like this article, please share it with your friends